You have arrived late for work 3 times in the last 2 weeks. May I remind you etc.
You know where this is going. Whether it is timekeeping, a pattern of defensiveness that is not helpful, withholding crucial information from colleagues or any other unhelpful behaviour, you should address this in a structured conversation.
Here is one of my preferred structures, which I often share with clients:
- Step 1: Describe what you have observed and why it concerns you.
- Step 2: Ask your colleague to help you understand what is happening.
- Step 3: Articulate how important it is for this thing to change and why, and ask your colleague if they are prepared to work with you on this.
- Step 4: Ask your colleague for ideas that might address the issue. Offer your own.
- Step 5: Agree on what each of you will do and by when. (Each of you should articulate what you personally will do – avoid making the mistake of summarising your colleague's actions for them).
- Step 6: Agree on a follow-up date
Try this. Let me know how it works.