Executive Coaching – Effecting change from the Top – Down
It is little wonder that we use a term like “the corporate jungle” to describe the experience that many executives have in their working world. Never have executives been under more pressure to deliver better results with fewer resources in a less supportive business environment. Neuroscience is showing beyond a shadow of a doubt that stress negatively impairs the quality of our thinking – and prolonged stress impairs our mental and physical health.
This cartoon published in Harvard Business Review illustrates the point brilliantly.
An executive coach helps business people to see the wood for the trees, gain perspective about their challenges and develop powerful strategies for coping with stressors without becoming stressed.
Executives typically seek coaching for the following reasons:
- because they are frustrated that they have not been able to get the kind of performance from their team that they need, and they wish to become more effective leaders;
- because they feel swamped by the sheer volume of work and responsibilities that they carry and need to find ways to make it more manageable;
- to prepare for a new position or to get up to speed quickly in a new position;
- to make key career decisions such as “up or out”.
What is a Coach?
What coaching is not?
It is not advice, therapy, training, tips, fixing, motivation or consulting.
Who needs a coach?
Everyone could do with a coach. It is the single most valuable personal investment that anyone can make. What would Tiger Woods, Jack Welsh, Bill Gates, Cyril Ramaphosa or Oprah Winfrey have achieved without the ongoing support of a coach?
Our focus in this area is at the following levels:
- Directors, especially newly-appointed directors
- Executive and Senior Management
A professional coach will:
How does it work?
- You will determine what you want to achieve over the process. Your Coach will coach you from that starting place and always have that as the foundation and focus for interaction.
- You and your coach will co-create and identify such things as your values, your vision, your purpose, your mission, the goals you want to achieve out of coaching and put structures in place for achieving the goals.
- Your coach will work with you from a base of intuition, past experience and expertise, and ask you the questions that will unlock the door of creativity and enable you to produce the results and solutions.
- You will commit to actions and deadlines.
- Your coach will support you in the process, passionately, single-mindedly and with the highest level of service.